Wednesday, 27 April 2016

And so to the marathon day itself




This is one of those days that will live in the memory all of my life.  It was an amazing experience and something I will never forget.

It’s my first marathon so I deliberately did not put a target time on myself. My plan was to complete the marathon, enjoy the day and get a positive experience out of the whole thing (the training as well as the race itself).

The day started early after a fitful sleep.  I felt a strange mix of excitement and nervousness.  My mind and body trying to co-ordinate and recognise where I'm at both physically and mentally.  I wasn't really that sure.  I was venturing into the unknown.  Today I'm going to run further than I have ever run before, in front of thousands of people!  Are the muscles at their prime?  Or are they past their best?  I feared the latter rather than the former but I also felt like I had enough focus and determination to get through it.

I’m interested in all of the mental work that is required to complete a marathon, as much, if not more than the actual physical stuff. I do a lot of coaching (both Life and Business coaching). As part of this I’m interested in the limits we put on ourselves and for me personally, running a marathon is an excellent ways of breaking through some of my own limits.

So I set out on marathon morning in the knowledge that my training had gone extremely well, to a point. I blazed through the early months and into March. Easter came early this year and as a result I was running 20 miles with Gade Valley a week earlier than most years. That day I ran my best run. The last 4 miles I was running between 8 and 8:30 minute miles. I was feeling strong and powerful. After that run I started to feel a little sluggish and although I knew I could complete my runs, I didn’t have quite the same pace that I had before. And then to cap it off, on my last Sunday run before the London marathon day, I got a little twinge in my left hamstring. This got into my head for most of the week as I was worried that as I got deep into the race I might get a more serious pull of my hamstring and have to pull out altogether. I knew that there’s every chance that this wouldn’t happen but I also feared that it could. So I talked to some people I know (including some experienced runners on social media) to get their views and experience and by Saturday I was okay about it.

So as I set off on the race things were ok. I was enjoying the whole experience. It is such an amazing experience! My legs were heavy (still not like a month ago) but I’d come to the conclusion that maybe I had over-trained and that my body was a little over-ripe. And as I was running the early miles, I was conscious that I could be running quicker (that’s if I could work out how to navigate around people and over bottles and pavement kerbs etc). My lungs had the capacity to move quicker but I wasn’t sure that my legs did. I could feel my hamstrings. It’s almost as if they were over-active and therefore too tight. But I ploughed on as it wasn’t too much of a big deal and I put the concerned thoughts on how they would be deep into the race to the back of my mind. Then as I got closer to 9, 10, 11 miles I could feel my thighs. They just got so tight and heavy. A Sports therapist friend of mine suggested that this was the Lactic acid kicking in and maybe it was. But surely that’s a little early in the race? I just kept going, thinking, I’m going to do this and hoping it didn’t get so tight that they wouldn’t move. Gradually the miles started to accumulate and I remember at mile 16, thinking 10 miles to go. That felt like a lot so I worked on breaking it up in my mind so that it felt more manageable.


The crowd was amazing. Their cheering really helped to keep me going. At times I felt myself putting my hands in the air to get the crowds going and that would give me a surge of energy and push me on. Again, my lungs could’ve moved me quicker but my legs couldn’t keep to that pace so I had to reign myself in to ensure I could get to the end. I felt like if I stopped, I wasn’t sure I could start again. I saw so many people who stopped to stretch and I just thought if I tried that it would make things worse not better. So I just kept moving. My average pace overall was 9:08 min mile. From mile 20 to 23 I dropped down to about 9:30 but then I picked it up a little as I got a sniff of the finish line.

As I crossed the line I was really happy to finish and proud of myself. As I say, I hadn’t put a time on myself but I had also suspected I could do it between 4 and 4:30 hours, and probably inside 4:15. I thought if I break 4 hours that would be the icing on the cake but at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter to me.


Thanks for reading my blog.  I hope you enjoyed it.

If you want to support my charity, the Outward Bound Trust, you can still do so by clicking on the link and making a financial contribution

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JonSleeper

No comments:

Post a Comment